Thursday, April 26, 2018

Valparaiso - April 21-23, 2018

I still rely heavily on Lonely Planet guide books when planning my trips -- and my reading encouraged a 1 1/2 bus-ride side trip to the coastal of Valparaiso, home to 300,000 - where I arranged a two-bedroom, two-bath Airbnb so that Marta could accompany me.  I love the way Lonely Planet describes Valparaiso: "Syncopated, dilapidated, colorful and poetic, Valparaíso is a wonderful mess. Pablo Neruda, who drew much inspiration from this hard-working port town, said it best: 'Valparaíso, how absurd you are…you haven't combed your hair, you've never had time to get dressed, life has always surprised you."
"
Marta and I enjoyed two wonderful days being tourists in this city "widely known for its bohemian culture, brightly coloured houses, and beautiful seaside views."  The city is known for its many "Ascensores" - funiculars that run between the coastal area to the nearby hill tops, and offer gorgeous views of the cityscape, port, and the Pacific Ocean.






To be sure, no amount of my photos can match the beauty of the many photos available on Google here.

The weekend passed quickly and in a blink we were back on the bus to Santiago where I stayed in yet another Airbnb near the airport - got some laundry done and a home-cooked meal by the Bolivian owner - and readied for my departure the next day (April 24) for Buenos Aires.