Sunday, October 29, 2017

Another Lucky Choice - Cairns Accommodations

Arrival in Cairns went super smooth as the host of the guesthouse met me curbside at the airport and transported me to her place where I had booked two nights before and two nights after the live-aboard diving experience.

I quickly learned that this host, in addition to the private room that I rented (booking.com), provides longer term student housing for international students who come to Cairns to study English - arranged through the school.  She provides "host mom" type of connections for these students including breakfast and dinner.  She invited me to breakfast (included) and dinner (for a tiny fee), and I had great fun getting to meet and visit with these 17 to 25 year olds from Columbia, Japan, and France.  Once again I felt like I'd made a lucky choice in accommodations -- as it was clearly the best of what I enjoy: my own private room with great wifi, but in a hostel-like environment where my mind gets expanded and humbled by interacting with young people motivated to change their lives and future by both study and travel.  The second night she even invited me to go to a local pub where she -- and on this week, her one student from France, participate in a trivia game night.  We had great fun with lots of laughs -- as another Australian joined our "team."  I wasn't much help to the "team" on the questions -- but had a fun time learning about everyone.

The place was also a perfect spot to walk to the retail diving store where I needed to check in for my live-aboard -- and walk around Cairns picking up some last minute necessities.

Another lucky choice - indeed!