Monday, October 23, 2017

The Emails That Restarted The Australian Family Connections

After writing my prior blog posting about my first connection with Bernie, I searched for and found the original emails between us.  Bernie had written a condolence letter on behalf of his family after learning of my dad's passing -- and I responded.  Excerpts from these emails follow.  I couldn't help but notice that the emails were exchanged exactly 4 years ago to the days of this visit.

From: Noel
Date: Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: Thoughts from Australia
To: bernie

Thank you very much for your thoughtful email.  It is heart warming to learn of my family connection to you and your family.  At age 62, I'm one of dad's four surviving sons.  I've had the good fortune to have enjoyed the global family connections that Dad started -- including with cousins in Switzerland and Holland.  I am delighted to learn of the connection with you and your family -- because by the time I asked Dad about potential family connections in Australia, he had not recalled any.
It would be my hope that I may be able to visit Australia and meet you and your family in person so that we may keep up the family connection -- and similarly, I welcome an opportunity to host you should you travel to the US. 

My mom is not doing well -- now living full time in an Alzheimer's Care Home in Morro Bay -- where she has nearly no memory except in the moment.  Her movement to the Care Home accelerated Dad's decline in spite of every effort the family tried.  As you probably know, Dad lived life on his terms -- and he never prepared for nor adjusted to the changes required by his aging.

I'd like to be in touch again soon.
Warm regards,
Noel 



From: bernie
Date: Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Subject: Thoughts from Australia
To: noel

It is with sadness that I write to you to convey our deepest sympathies and condolences to you all on hearing of the passing of Wilmar.

We met Wilmar and Henrietta back in 1991 when Wilmar and Henrietta trekked to Australia to join in on a Family Reunion that I had planned for the Tomasini family. (My Great Great Grandmother, Maria Susanna Tomasini, was a sister to Wilmar's Grandfather Noe Tognazzini, and they all lived at Basalt near Daylesford.)


During the time Wilmar and Henrietta stayed with us we able to show them where Wilmar's Grandfather lived, and I remember Wilmar took a small stone home from the what remained of the stone house that Noe built. Oh how he loved his genealogical research work, and meeting his long lost relatives and working out who was related to who, where they lived and what they did!
We showed Wilmar some old family photo albums and he was able to identify some of the photos, which were otherwise listed as 'unknown'

We always looked forward to receiving letters and emails from Wilmar, they always contained so much, were a good read, and sometimes, much to think about. My Dad, Ron, would quite often ask me if I have had any correspondence with Wilmar, and when I did get something he was always happy to hear from the 'American contingent' of distant cousins.

About 12 months ago, I was able to inform Wilmar that my parents had successfully purchased the block of land that was originally taken up by his Grandfather Noe, and
I believe Wilmar was happy about this. Some may say it is meant to happen, that 'family land' will one day, return to family.

A very kind, thoughtful and generous man, who filled his life to the brim doing all the things he found enjoyable and gave him so much pleasure.
I am sure he will be deeply missed by many, many people.

Our thoughts are with you all at this time.

Warmest Regards

P.S. Mum has asked about Henrietta, and hopes that she is doing ok