Sunday, October 22, 2017

"Boots Gully" - Why I'm Here

This posting may only be interesting to family members -- but it's worth telling a very brief "Cliff Notes" verson of why I'm visiting this part of the world -- about an hour and half northwest of Melbourne -- for a second time in 2 years.

In the 1850's my great, great grandfather arrived in this still-rural and somewhat remote area of Australia from the Italian speaking southern canton of Switzerland in search of a better life with hopes of finding gold.  In short order there would be 2500 Swiss-Italian immigrant families here (among many other cultures) -- and while gold was elusive to nearly all except the first few Swiss immigrants, they created a life here.  My great, great grandfather and his sons became Australians and acquired land for their homes here - then called "Boots Gully."

Anyway, then in 1888, just months after my great, great grandfather's death, my great grandfather set out for California with 8 children ages 12 to 1 including my then 8 year old grandfather.  Of course, there is much more to the story, perhaps topics of future blogging, but that's sufficient for now to begin to understand "why I'm here?"

Now let's jump 100 years forward: In the late 1980's, my parents visited the area as part of my dad's interest in genealogy/family history but it wasn't until 1991 that a bit of good luck and Google-assisted good fortune allowed a previously-unknown, local relative "Bernie" (then about age 27) to contact my parents (then in their 70's) and invite them to a family reunion here of Bernie's branch of the family tree.  My parents visited and a lasting bond was created by my parents with Bernie and his family here. In addition, Bernie's family today owns the land that my great grandfather owned here -- just across the country road from the original homesite/land of my great, great grandfather.  You can imagine my dad's thrill to do as I got to do just last year -- sit on the remaining foundation stones of my great grandfather's (his grandfather's) home here.

More good fortune fostered my personal connection with Bernie -- as we connected when I took on the task of managing my dad's email upon dad's death in 2013 - and I added to my bucket list a trip to Australia to further my own interest in family genealogy and to connect with family here.

Fast forward to last year (2016):  With too much caution, I only committed to staying with Bernie for one night during my first ever trip to Australia.  With hindsight, I now laugh at my then cautiousness: Bernie is about 14 years younger than I am - he is actually a "3rd cousin once removed" - and I had no idea what to expect beyond a greeting and a visit to my great grandfather's original home site.  Little did I know, at that time, that Bernie shares my passion for genealogy -- and had amassed and organized quite a collection of genealogy research into all his family trees -- including my branches.

 I blogged about my visit last year here. And I left after one night wishing I had scheduled much more time to get to know Bernie/his family and gain benefit of his very thorough, detailed family tree information and the area.  From the moment I left here last year I had been thinking about when I could return.  And this time, a year later, I've planned to stay with Bernie for 6 nights.