Monday, October 23, 2017

Time For Living - Not For Blogging

As always happens with my trip blogs, I get busy living life with little time left over to write about it.  And, that's certainly been the case since I arrived at Bernie's on the afternoon of October 19.

I don't have the time to go moment by moment -- but suffice to say that I have been incredibly busy with:

1. Bernie: taking me to the home sites, other Swiss-constructed homes, visiting again with his mom (almost 80) and brother and one of his sisters, visiting/researching at cemeteries (including meeting with record holders), visiting the library and pouring over reference materials about Swiss Italian migration here, visiting the local history museum, sharing meals and brews at area pubs, and looking at and discussing his detailed research records.


2. With new friends/relatives: I spent an evening/dinner with a couple who had contacted me after finding me through an AncestryDNA connection as a potential 4th-6th cousin.  Their family connection is on my paternal grandmother's side -- who comprise nearly all my family contacts that I visit and stay in touch with in Switzerland.  It was fun to add new friends and family (they live in Melbourne) to my life:

3. On my own: As noted in a prior posting, I scheduled this trip to coincide with an annual Swiss Italian Festival here -- and have therefore enjoyed some of the activities associated with it -- including a local parade and community gathering.  In addition, I've spent some time visiting the local library, enjoying the community of Daylesford, even attending the rehearsal of the local community brass band.